About Me

My photo
I'm the mother of four children who hopes to raise them to be productive, compassionate, humble citizens of our planet...who will also use their turn signals.

Sunday, May 17, 2020


Day 11 of the 100 Day Project:  The World Kept Turning 

In 1982, my mom drove me to Kennedy Airport in NYC and put me on a plane to Vienna for a seven week visit with my cousin, Susanne Grasser, and her family. That trip changed my life and instilled the tremendous gift of curiosity and wanderlust. Though I was experiencing a new language, culture, and more independence, I was 14-years-old and still wanted to keep up with everything back at home. 
At that time, international phone calls had to be made from the post office in town, so I only scheduled a few calls home during my trip. We wrote LETTERS instead. So adorably vintage, isn’t it?  They were even on these handy airmail forms, with pre-printed postage, and folded into an envelope for mailing. Included in my mom’s letters would be updates on what was going on with friends and family and, more importantly, a weekly synopsis of “The Young and The Restless”, “As The World Turns” and “Guiding Light.” We were SO INTO SOAPS. Or “the stories” as the older set would call them. They were goofy and dramatic, but compared to some of the reality TV today, they seem award-worthy. 
I love that my mom took the time to keep me up-to-date on who had been kidnapped (again) and who found out they had an evil twin (again). Her generosity and diligence were especially commendable, considering all of my letters include the phrase, “I love it here so much! I’m never coming home!” 

No comments: