About Me

My photo
I'm the mother of four children who hopes to raise them to be productive, compassionate, humble citizens of our planet...who will also use their turn signals.

Sunday, May 17, 2020



Day 10 of the 100 Day Project:   Well, that’s embarrassing 

The idea of organization has intrigued me throughout my entire life. I’m drawn to graphs, markers and paper organized by color, label makers, a pantry that let’s you know you’re low on flour by a mere glance at the glass canister. 
Sadly, the exercise gene mentioned yesterday has an attached strand of DNA that codes for organization (I cannot cite this as fact because whether it is an ACTUAL fact has not been proven by science, only by me). I’m really organized with some things, like when I write report or document at work, but I also have an affinity for placing “important” papers on flat surfaces. By important I mean newspaper clippings, beautiful quotes that I write on napkins at stoplights, and coupons that I will forget at home. 
After having my first baby, I knew it was time to really get myself organized. I packed Trevor in his baby seat and off we went to conquer the stacks and see what methodology could help this new mom. (FUN FACT: It was at this same library in Virginia Beach that a man stood behind me in the cookbook aisle and repeatedly cleared his throat until I turned around to notice what he was “kneading.”) 
I found a great selection of home organization books and checked them out. After a week of heavy research, reading and taking notes, I decided I still needed more information. Even then, I suffered from analysis paralysis and had to find every morsel of data before proceeding. Back to the library we went, to see if anything new had hit the shelves. 
This was before computers were available to patrons. And before you ask, YES, the wheel HAD been invented. And so had fire. I asked the librarian if there were any more books available on my topic. She scanned the screen and read three titles, but said they were checked out; however, I could request to have them held when they’re returned. I excitedly handed over my library card with delight. MORE INFORMATION. 
She types away and makes a face that says, “Hmmmm.” “Anything wrong?” I said. “Well, it seems that the person who has the all the organizational books checked out is YOU.” 
Yep. Apparently I had cornered the market on every book they had on the subject and didn’t even recognize the titles when she mentioned them. Please keep in mind I had a 4-month-old baby at the time and was basically a 24-hour milk machine. And if I had to choose between being responsible for books AND a small human, I’m glad I could still locate and recognize the human. 
We laughed it off (or maybe I giggled and ran, my memory is fuzzy.) This story doesn’t really have an ending, other than these are a few of the books I currently own on organization, the top one being from an author I saw speak live last year on the topic of decluttering. I’m fully aware that I’ll never conquer my scattered tendencies and, at 52 years old, have decided to call it part of my “charm.”  

#the100dayproject#100daysofstorytelling#yourstorymatters

No comments: